Tom Yam – Thai Soup, Cooking Method & Recipe
About Tom Yum
Tom Yum or Tom Yum Goong is designated as one of the most delicious and favorite dish among Thais as well as foreigners. It’s not just found in Thailand but in majorly all Thai restaurants worldwide. Tom Yum is usually cooked with shrimp, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass and a choice of meat or vegetable.
Both the version, vegetarian and non-vegetarian taste amazingly delicious and the choice of meat will be goong or shrimp. Generally, the soup is seasoned with the fish sauce, chilies and lime juice. Besides, there are some other optional add-ons as well including Nam Phrik Pao (chili jam) or sometime coconut oil or milk. Tom Yam is often hot and spicy in taste and is probably the most demanding soup in Thailand.
If you are mad over Tom Yum, this post is going to highlight everything you want to know about this yummy soup from cooking method to ingredients and the recipe. So let’s go through with this and see how you can prepare your favorite Tom Yum yourself within a quick frame of time.
Tom Yum – Ingredients
- 4 Cups of Water
- Fresh Lemongrass (2 Stalks), Trim Off from its root end and smash with the side of a chopper & cut this into 1 inch pieces; or 2 pc dried
- Get 2 pc dried or 3 slices fresh galangal root
- 3 pc fresh kaffir lime leave or 4pc dried
- 1 small ripe tomato, cut into wedges 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small lime, squeezed
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 12 fresh Thai chili peppers, whole or 2 medium sized jalepenos, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.
- 1/2 small white onion, cut 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tbsp. tamarind (with or without seeds)
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3/4 lb shrimps, medium to large size, shelled and de-veined; butterfly
- 2 tbsp. roasted chili paste (nam prik pao)
- 1 (16 oz.) can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
Tom Yum- Preparation Method
- Bring water and boil it over a high heat in a medium-size saucepan
- Add some galangal, lemon grass, lime leaf, kaffir, fish sauce and tamarind paste as per your taste
- Add shrimp and to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes
- Then add onion, nam prik paoand straw mushroom to it
- Again boil them for another 7 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through
- Then add the chili peppers and tomatoes. Turn off the heat
- Add the lime juice
- Taste it to adjust the seasoning and add fish sauce to taste
- Once the cooking method is done then garnish it with cilantantro, roasted whole chili peppers and
and a splash of coconut milk if desired and serve hot.
Health Benefits of Tom Yum
- Tom Yum possesses properties 100 times more efficient than other antioxidants in hindering cancerous-tumor growth.
- As per the research carried out by Thailand’s Kasetsart University and Japan’s Kyoto and Kinki Universities, Tom Yum boosts immunity system and improves digestion
- Its ingredients like Ginger aids in digestion, turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, and lemongrass treats colds and ease tummy troubles.
So Tom Yum is not just savoring dish but also boasts up a lots of health benefits.